All about Maps (English)
Los mapas (Spanish)
Recursos didácticos de Cartografía (Spanish)
Oxford Student Atlas (English)
Ciencia Viva (Latitude e Longitude) (Portuguese, English)
The Atlas of Canada (English, French)
The fundamentals of Cartography (English, French)
KidsCom and GPS (English)
Escolar.com: mapas y planos (Spanish)
School Atlas site (English)
A forma da Terra (Portuguese)
The Great Globe Gallery (English)
Kokone: Ayuda tarea (mapas) (Spanish)
Earth Viewer (English)
A térképekrõl... (Hungarian)
Travel to North America(English)
NASA: For Kids only (English)
Endangered Creatures (English)
El Club de Pipo (juegos y demos) (Spanish)
Helping Your Child Learn Geography (English)
Descobertas e invencoes portuguesas (Portuguese, English)
The Internet Geographer (English)
Learning about Geography (English)
Természetbúvar laboratórium (Hungarian)
Geography Network (English)
Scholastic Encyclopedia for Children (English)
Cuento contigo (Spanish)
Zöld kalandra fel! (Hungarian)
Pics 4 Learning (English)
Not just for kids! (English)
Tracking Your Travels: Landmarks Around the World(English)
Take a seat: Road Trip Geography(English)
Education World (English)
World Travel Geography for Kids (English)
Start: Natural Language Question Answering System (English)
Nova Escola: O site do Professor (Portuguese)
UNICEF: Teachers talking (English)
Surfing the net with kids (English)
Half-Baked Software: design of interactive exercises for the Web (English)
Clasroom Clipart (English)
Teaching with the Web (English)
GeoScience: K-12 Resources (English)
Brain Pop: the more you know (English)
- National Geographic Society Teaching Resources Find multimedia activities, lessons, and units aligned with national standards.
- Geography Awareness Week Check out the newly created archive of past Geography Awareness Week materials, a new suite of resources all about Geography as a field and discipline, and even more tips and tools to plan your own GeoWeek celebrations!
- GIS Day Resources for Hosts Resources to promote your event and a set of activities to use during your event.
- Esri Education Community Links to exchange ideas, lesson plans, and learn and develop skills.
- Esri Education Community Instructional Resources Geographic Information Systems (GIS) can help learners of all ages and academic disciplines understand the world around them. GIS helps students and teachers engage in studies that promote critical thinking, integrated learning, and multiple intelligences.
- AAG Education The AAG has a long history of initiating and leading projects designed to enhance the quality of geography education at all levels. We currently offer award-winning materials for teaching geography, online modules for international collaborative learning, and tools for student projects in sustainable development.
- Cartographic Perspectives The open access journal of the North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS) and is devoted to the study and practice of Cartography in all of its diversity.
- CartoTalk A public forum for cartography and design.
- Mapping Center Mapping Center is dedicated to helping you make great maps with ArcGIS! We do this by introducing you to the same concepts and techniques that professional cartographers use. Our goal is our users’ demonstrated success in cartographic information design and presentation!
- Taylor & Francis IMY Research Collection In support of the International Map Year (IMY), Taylor and Francis offers free access to a collection of leading mapping and cartographic research papers until the end of December 2015.
- MapLift Help NACIS and FixWikiMaps building new maps for Wikipedia.
Free data viewers for a variety of GIS data formats. These viewers allow you to display geographic data as well as perform some basic GIS functions.
Explorer for ArcGIS
A viewer developed by Esri for viewing maps on mobile devices. The app is available for iOS and Android devices.
ArcReader is a free, easy-to-use mapping application that allows users to view, explore, and print maps.
Cadcorp Map Express is a free-to-use read-only desktop GIS. It can be used to read many data formats – GIS, CAD, web, and database – directly, and without translation. With Map Express you can carry out the following geoprocessing operations completely free of charge: spatial querying, attribute querying, tabular visualisation, 3D visualisation, map publishing in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF), and map printing. Map Express is available as 32-bit and 64-bit.
Christine GIS system is free GIS software allows you viewing and spatial querying vector and raster data, creating and editing tabular data, connect DBMS by ODBC, creating applications by integrated script language.
Geomatica Freeview is a standalone dataviewer that allows browsing of a variety of vector and raster based data including satellite imagery. You can also access attribute data within this viewer.
Free download of this data viewer by Cyze & Associates. This viewer was especially created for environmental scientists, geologists and engineers.
Natural Resources Database
The Natural Resources Database (NRDB) is a GIS-based tool for developing and distributing environmental databases. Data may be output as resource maps, graphs and reports using simple selections or powerful queries. The program supports the import and export of data to and from shapefiles and supports universal (UTM) and other transverse mercator projections. Data may also be imported from Excel files, Access databases and text files.
Shape Viewer is a free tool, which you can use to view Esri Shapefiles. You can still download the software although it was lasted updated in 2005.
Natively supports wide range of vector, image, grid data formats and WMS, WFS, and WMTS services opened from the web. Comprehensive visual layer property and legend controls for deep customization of map appearance, including colors, labels, fills, line styles, symbology, thematic presentation, pie charts, sublayers and layer hierarchies… Advanced coordinate system
TNTatlas is a free Geodata viewing tool for Mac OS X and Windows. Geodata files currently supported include shapefiles, DWG, DGN, DXF, JPEG, JP2, TIFF, GeoTIFF, PNG, ECW, and MrSID formats. TNTatlas also has features for querying, measurement, printing, sketching of the displayed geodata.
LONGITUDE/LATITUDE, PARTS OF A MAP AND THE COORDINATE SYSTEM
- Cartographic Connections: Anatomy of a Map
- What is GIS? (pdf)
- Latitude and Longitude Finder
- Map Projections
- geography: Latitude and longitude
- All About Remote Sensing Technologies (pdf)
- GIS Research & Map Collection Maps Tutorial: The Elements of a Map (pdf)
- General Cartography Rules
- GIS Geography - Latitude, Longitude and Coordinate System Grids
- Units of Longitude and Latitude
- All About Latitude and Longitude
- Building Geography Skills for Life (pdf)
- How To Read GPS Coordinates
- GPS Coordinates - Latitude and Longitude Finder
- Earth's Coordinate System
- Map - National Geographic Society
- Teaching Directions, Maps, and Coordinates
- NASA: Learning about Latitude and Longitude
- Latitude, Longitude and Associated Metadata (pdf)
- Map Direction Navigation
- BEGINNER MAP READING SKILLS
- Mapping Concepts and Skills for Elementary Students
- Map Reading Facts & Worksheets
WORLD CONTINENTS AND OCEANS
- 7 Continents of the World
- Weird Science: Continent Confusion
- Continents Quiz
- The Seven Continents Worksheet (pdf)
- World: Continents and Oceans - Map Quiz Game
- World Continents & Oceans Games - geography online
- Bodies of Water in the World Quiz
- Continents and Oceans Quiz
- Map Skills: Continents and Oceans (pdf)
- Continent Facts for Kids
- Map of the Earth - Continents and Oceans for Kids
- My SchoolHouse: Continents and Oceans
- Oceans for Kids
- continent - Britannica for Kids
- Ocean Basins and Continents
- Continents for Kids
- The Face of the Earth - Continents and Oceans (pdf)
- THE SEVEN CONTINENTS SCAVENGER HUNT (pdf)
- Evolution of Continents and Oceans
GENERAL GEOGRAPHY GAMES AND WEBSITES
- The True Sizes of Countries
- Interactive Map of the U.S.
- Identify Flags of the World
- Where on Google Earth Is Carmen Sandiego?
- State Capital Matching Game
- How Well Do You Know the World?
- United States Jigsaw Puzzle
- United States Geography Quiz
- Name That State!
- Toad Hop: Country Capitals
- Can You Find the U.S. States Without Any Outlines?
- Where am I on A Map?
- Rivers of the United States Game
- Name the States on a Map of the United States
- Ben's Guide: Place the States on the Map of the United States
- Where Is That?
- Geoguessr: Where Are You on Google Maps?
- Where is This? A Locational Knowledge Quiz for Geographers
- The View From Above
- Spin the Wheel Geography Game
- Major Land Features Quiz
- Virtual Pilot Destination Game
- Europe Map Quiz
- Scribble States
- Place South American Biomes
- World Map Find the Country Game
- Quizzity: Locate Cities
- Geography Games for Kids
- Globetrotter XL
- State Abbreviation Game
- GeoGames: Build Planet Earth
- United States Map Game
CARTOGRAPHY AND MAP COLLECTIONS
- History of Maps for Kids
- Nine World-Changing Maps
- Cartography of Al-Sharif Al Idrisi (pdf)
- Cartography Guide
- Ptolemy's Historic Map
- What Cartographers Do
- Brief History of Maps and Cartography
- Osher Map Library - Smith Center for Cartographic Education
- Early Mapmakers
- Pre-Colonial Maps
- History of Maps and Cartography
- Discovering Lewis and Clark
- A miscellany of maps from c.1800 to c.1850
- Cartography and Children - International Cartographic Association
- Maps in the 1800s
- Mapmaking and its History
- Maps and Map Analysis
- International Cartographic Association: Modern Cartography Role and Contributions (pdf)
- Route Mapping on the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Eratosthenes' Measurement of the Earth (pdf)
- Maps & Cartography: Map Collections
- Cartography - Special Map Collections and Strengths